Terms and Conditions of Meeting Room Hire
The University of Southampton Science Park's meeting room and conference facilities are available for hire by external organisations. There are conditions of use which these Standard Terms and Conditions set out.
1. All bookings made by persons in respect of rooms at Southampton Science Park are accepted by the University of Southampton Science Park upon the following Terms and Conditions, which shall form the contract between the University of Southampton Science Park and the Hirer.
2. In these terms and conditions:
i) "USSP" means The University of Southampton Science Park
ii) "Room" refers to one of the Meeting Rooms and Conference Suites available to be booked through the online booking system.
iii) "Management" means the Management Team of USSP
iv) "Hirer" means any person, persons or representative of the organisation named in a room booking invoiced by the USSP
Use of Rooms
3. Use of the Room is by permission of USSP management who reserve the right to refuse any booking or admission at their discretion
4. Use of the Room must at all times be compliant with user restrictions contained in an agreement made pursuant to section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990
5. Keys are to be collected in advance of room hire from the Science Park Office (2 Venture Road) and returned by the Hirer after the meeting to the Science Park Office. Please note the Science Park Office operates between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
Cancellation by the USSP
5. USSP reserves the right to cancel the booking forthwith and without any liability on its part in the event of the Hirer failing to perform any of the obligations contained within these terms and conditions
6. If for any reason beyond its control including, but not limited to strike, labour dispute, accident, act of war, act of God, fire, flood or other emergency condition, USSP is unable to perform its obligations in connection with any booking, such non- performance is excused and USSP may terminate this contract without further liability of any nature, upon re-imbursement of any sums paid by the Hirer. In no event, shall the USSP be liable for consequential damages of any nature for any reason whatsoever.
Cancellation by the Hirer
7. The Hirer may cancel a Room hire booking by giving notice in writing. In the event that the Hirer cancels a Room hire booking, USSP reserves the right to impose cancellation charges as follows:
i) 7 days or more prior to the commencement of the meeting, no charges will be made.
ii) A 25% cancellation fee will be charged if less than 7 days notice is given for the cancellation of a meeting.
iii) Between 24-72 hours notice prior to the commencement of the meeting a 50% cancellation fee will be charged.
iv) If a meeting is cancelled within 24hrs then 100% of the room hire will be charged.
8. The Hirer is in breach of this contract if:
i) He fails to pay to USSP any sum of money payable to USSP on the due date
ii) Room usage by the Hirer other than in accordance with the specified terms of this contract
9. USSP permits the Hirer to bring their own refreshments on site on condition that
i) Any urns and crockery are requested at the time of booking
ii) The Hirer pays the standard hire charge for urns and crockery
ii) The Hirer leaves the room tidy and put all rubbish in the bin(s) provided
Hours of use
10. The hire charges quoted relate to the times of the hire duration declared at the time of booking. Room usage which continues beyond these times will incur additional hire charges.
11. USSP operates a no-smoking policy throughout its property.
12. Permission is required for all photographs, filming and video-recording within the USSP Premises.
13. The Hirer shall not sub-let the hired rooms
14. An additional discretionary fee of £50 will be charged to the hirer if the room is not left in the same state as at the commencement of hire period or is deemed, by the USSP management team, to be in an unfit state for the next booking
Damage to USSP property and items not permitted in Rooms
15. The Hirer shall take all reasonable precautions to ensure that no damage occurs to the property of USSP or its employees. Furniture and equipment provided should be used only for the purpose for which it was designed. In the event of any damage occurring, USSP reserves the right to render the Hirer liable for the replacement or repair of any or all property damaged.
16. The Hirer shall ensure that nothing is fixed to the floors, walls, ceilings or any other interior or exterior of the buildings by means of nails, screws, drawing pins, blue tack, glue or any other means unless agreed in writing with the Management team prior to the hire period.
17. USSP accepts no responsibility for any hired equipment or conference equipment provided by, for, or on behalf of the Hirer, left unattended prior to, during, or after the function
18. Equipment hired from USSP
i) Must be collected from the USSP Company Office prior to the meeting
ii) Must be returned to the USSP Company Office directly after use
iii) Any faults must be reported before leaving USSP premises
iv) The Hirer will be responsible if equipment is not returned and penalty charges will be incurred
19. USSP cannot accept responsibility for any items lost or mislaid on the premises
20. All items stored are at the Hirer's risk
21. Any items not collected within 24 hours of the end of the meeting will be disposed of unless prior arrangements have been made. Items stored outside these times may incur additional charges
Insurance of property of Hirer and Hirers guests
22. The Hirer acknowledges that any such objects, equipment, furniture, stock, or other property of any sort will remain under the control and care of the Hirer and/ or guests and the Hirer is responsible for insuring such property and accordingly the USSP excludes liability for losses.
23. The Hirer shall ensure that the event for which the Room is used is conducted in an orderly fashion without causing a nuisance and in full compliance with the directives and requirements of Management and with all applicable laws ordinances and regulations.
Right to Exclude or Eject Persons
24. USSP reserves the right, as it considers reasonable, to exclude or eject, any persons from the Room or the premises of the USSP whom it shall consider objectionable (including any engaged by the Hirer) and the Hirer will be liable for any liability arising thereby save where the Hirer establishes negligence or bad faith by USSP.
Data Protection Act
25. The details of the Hirer or, where different, the Client will be held by USSP on its computer database for use by its accounts department for maintaining proper records. It will not be passed onto any third parties.
26. Payment to USSP for meeting room hire and catering orders must be made by cheque or BACs within 14 days of the date of the invoice issued for these services.
27. A generic risk assessment for the use of meeting rooms can be downloaded here.